On September 9, 1923, a group of 14 residents and property owners of Strathmere met and formed the Strathmere Fire Company. It was incorporated under the laws of New Jersey in February 1924. Those present for the incorporation of the Fire Company were - James E. Godfrey, W.A.P. Thompson, George R. McCullough, Frank B. Burroughs, H.B. McGauhey, G.B. McGauhey, H.A. Wittkamp Jr., W.T. Sweigard, Harlan P. Wittkamp, Henry A. Wittkamp Sr., C.T. Hankins, George B. Glenn, Edward B. Burroughs and A.Z. Drozdov. Witnessed by Catherine McCullough.
Mrs. Ellie E. Gorman donated the property for the firehouse in memory of her husband, William Gorman. In August 1924, the first fundraiser for the firehouse was held and $450 was raised. More money was raised by card parties held in Philadelphia and the ladies auxiliary of a defunct fire company donated another $150. The money was set aside for a building fund and after raising more money, the firehouse was built in 1926.
The first firetruck was bought in the Winter of 1926/27 and it was an American/LaFranceon a Locomobile chassis.
This photo is from 1941, the man is one of the McGauheys.
This letter, dated 1927 is from secretary H.B. McGauhey to Vincent Girard, asking for a donation to help cover the expenses invlolved in building the firehouse. Letter is from the estate of Dr. Rita C. Schiavo
Strathmere Volunteer Fire Company Website